Monday, February 21, 2011

A New Identity

Here's my latest thought. After reading through Romans yesterday, I am seeing more and more clearly how sin is rooted in our struggle with our IDENTITY. At covenant, Taylor Ross has been speaking to us about the book of Romans. This week, he taught  us that it is what Jesus has done, not what we have done or are doing that saves us. The great mystery is that we are saved through faith in Jesus. We cannot depend on ourselves and we shouldn't be fighting the sin in our lives. We must surrender to Jesus and let him do the work. He will set us free.

Where can this knowledge of our identity come from?

"Or have you forgotten. that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives.Since we have been united with him in his death, we will also be raised to life as he was. We know that our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin!" Romans 6:3-6

"When he died, he died once to break the power of sin, But now that he lives, he lives for the Gflory of God, So you also should consider  yourselves to be dead to the power of sin and alive to God through Christ Jesus" Romans 6:10-11

We as humans struggle with our finding our identity. But as a child of Christ, I know where my identity belongs. Who I am is Christ in me. I have been created in the Lords image, and He reveals my identity to me. I am no longer a slave to sin! I have been buried with my old self and an now a new creation; CHRIST IN ME!

My dear friend Elijah shed some great insight on these thoughts of identity. He brought up Jesus when he was being tempted saying, satan did not first tempt Jesus to turn stone into bread, rather, he started with, "If you are the son of God..."  Luke 4:9
See, he questions his identity!


We have been set free from these struggles by the power of Jesus' blood! It's a comforting thought to realize that I have assurance of where, and in whom, my identity lies.

1 comment:

  1. I think Satan wants us to spend our whole lives concerned about ourselves so we don't spread the good news to others. When we die to ourselves and are raised to new identity in Jesus we don't have to worry about our salvation and we can spend our time helping others find that truly amazing good news!
    So glad for the good influences in your life!

    ReplyDelete

Captivated By His Love....