Tuesday, July 5, 2011

And so free travel begins...

Monday, June 27th
Well, it’s official. Today begins our first day of “Free Travel.” The rest of our Scotland group left early this morning to head back to the States, and another small group of girls left today for Paris. I must say, it’s quite a strange feeling to go from a group of 13 to a group of 4 young college girls all alone in London. While strange, it’s also quite exciting to be out on our own, venturing around the city and enduring the hardships that come with having no clue what you are doing while in a foreign country.
We checked out of our apartment at 10:00 today, and headed to a local bakery to make use of free wireless internet. This was the first time we could find a place where internet was actually working, so I was overjoyed to be able to inform everyone back home that I was ok (especially Elijah, becuase I knew he would be worried since I told him I would have internet access during my time in London, and had yet to contact him).

Us girls had a nice relaxing day in London, soaking up the sun (which rarely shows up it seems), and finding great food and shops! One of my favorite things we did today was walking around Regents Park. We got there in the late afternoon, so it was the perfect temperature outside, and we were able to just enjoy strolling through winding paths and flowerbeds. I wish I would have had my camera, the flowers were breathtaking! We found a nice place to sit down and rest our tired feet. Eventually our stomachs interrupted the peaceful silence, so we took the tube back into the area of town where we were staying. We happened to stumble upon his delicious Italian pizza place. The pizza and garlic bread were delicious, and we topped it off with some chocolate we had brought from Scotland =)
 Internet is really unreliable at our hostel, but I was fortunate enough to be able to Skype briefly with Elijah and my dad (definitely a highlight of the day)! We spent the rest of the evening trying to figure out how we were going to get from London to Paris. My dad was extremely helpful with this, but it was  a stressful evening of planning! After being frustrated with travel options, we were all tired and decided to go to bed. Unfortunately, our room was about 1,000 degrees. Now, you might read this and think I’m exaggerating, but I assure you, it was so hot in our room that it felt like our skin was going to melt off. You must understand, anyone who knows me will tell you that I am always cold, and because of that, I have a sweater with me at all times, so you know if I thought it was hot it must have been AWFUL…and, it was! I think all of us only slept a few hours…we got up in the middle of the night and wet some of our shirts with ice cold water, just to try and cool down.
And so free travel begins....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Captivated By His Love....