Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Changed for the better

Saturday, June 25th
Since being in London, and constantly traveling in close proximity to people on the tube(underground subway) and on the streets, I often wonder if I’m simply appearing in a clever deodorant add or commercial. If I’m not taking part in the making one, I sure should suggest the idea to someone, because it seems as if no one knows how to maintain a delightful odor. Common sense would tell you that if you’re going to be in close proximity (and by close proximity, I mean, literally being pressed directly up against hundreds of people), proper hygiene would be a concern.

Portobello is no exception to this smelly phenomenon. We woke up early to head to Portobello because we had heard it was a unique town, and if by unique, they meant crowded and sweaty, then this was a VERY unique town! While it was quite crazy, smelly, and crowded, I’m glad we were able to go and walk around. I always have a fun time experiencing new and different things!
Derek, Kelsey, Britni and I stopped by a coffee shop and bakery for some lunch before heading back to the apartment to get ready for seeing the musical WICKED!!!!!! After feeling so dirty and gross in Portobello, it was wonderful to come back and clean up, put on a pretty dress, and go see a musical in London! This was my second time seeing Wicked, but I still got goose bumps at different moments throughout the performance.


One of my favorite songs in the play Wicked is called, “For Good.” One of the lines says, “Because I knew you, I have been changed for the better..because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” As I was listening to this song, I couldn’t help but think about how true this was for so many of the wonderful people I met during my time in Scotland. I am beyond grateful for the people God has put in my life that have changed and shaped me into who I am today. From my parents, to my teachers, to friends, to children in Africa, Ukraine, Scotland, and America, I have been forever changed by your influence and life lessons. Because I knew you, my life has been changed for the better!

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing style and sense of humor! This blog makes a great travel guide.

    It's funny to see how Wikipedia describes Portobello Road's "unique" character:
    "Mid- to late-Victorian terrace houses and shops predominate, squeezed tightly into the available space, adding intimacy and a pleasing scale to the streetscape."

    So now I know that "intimacy and pleasing scale" = "crowded and smelly" :-)

    --Gondring

    ReplyDelete

Captivated By His Love....