Sunday, June 5, 2011

How many teachers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Thursday, June 2nd
There is a moment every teacher holds dear in her heart. It’s a moment where you realize all the hours spent planning lessons was worth it. A time in which you realize you were given a special gift to be a teacher, and you see before your eyes that you made a difference, even if miniscule, in the life of a student. This moment came for me today, as I was working with a struggling student in math. Today, I was witness to the “light bulb” moment. The “Ah Ha, I finally understand” proclamation!
There is nothing more exciting as a teacher than watching a breakthrough happen before your own eyes. It’s a time where the teacher and student are so excited you celebrate, high five, and give away stickers that say “GREAT JOB!” or “YOU”RE A STAR!” Smiles are exchanged, and it feels like progress is being made.
Nothing thrilled me more than to see a darling little boy not only finally understand math for the first time, but to be EXCITED about it and be begging to do more after an hour of work! The problems hadn’t changed, but he was now able to see clearly. To think clearly. To understand what was being asked of him. But this joy didn’t come without a struggle. He was frustrated. I was frustrated. It took a lot of encouragement and patience. You want so badly to say, “It’s so simple, how can you not see this?”
Isn’t this often how our understanding of God is? His message is there right in front of us. Nothing has changed, or ever will change. He’s the same yesterday, today, and forever. His message is one that embodies simplicity, yet we lack the eyes to see, and ears to hear. I am so unbelievably thankful for the patience God has with me. I struggle. I lack understanding. I become frustrated. But the Lord is faithful, and He is the ultimate teacher. He works through our struggles with us, and guides us to peace that passes understanding. He is patient with me beyond what I deserve. How his face must light up when we are blind, and then see. When we experience those “light bulb” moments in our walk with Him. What Joy He must feel for us!
I am a teacher who is always learning. What a blessing to be able to learn from a teacher who is LIGHT!

Today was our first day of sun in Scotland. Here are some pictures I took around our house. We had a lovely day reading and spending time together outside. At 8:00, we had a Bible study outside. Such a wonderful day of LIGHT!




 

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said Natalie! Love the story and the comparison.

    ReplyDelete

Captivated By His Love....