Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Never neglect an opportunity

Tuesday, June 7th
Today was an incredible day with my P-4 students at Carronshore Primary. Because our Bible teacher had both of our classes last night, we had the morning free to do whatever we wanted. I asked Dr. Wood last night if he would bring me to the school so I could spend the entire day with my students =) I absolutely loved being able to spend the entire school day with the kids, and was able to get a lot of extra teaching in. It’s been great to work with some of the students in reading and see their progress. The Red group was especially excited today about their book, and it brings me so much joy to see their love for reading!
Between art and French class, I did a small lesson on geography. This will hopefully help transition into the lesson I’ll be teaching next week in front of Dr. Wood for a grade. Afterwards, there was still a small amount of time left, so while Miss Laird (my coo operating teacher) had a meeting, I was able to read to the children from the book “Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.”  You could have heard a pin drop in the room it was so quiet.
One of my favorite parts of the day was teaching my class a math chant which learned previously in a class at Harding a few semesters ago. It goes like this:
0,2,4,6,8 (Students repeat: 0,2,4,6,8)
We think evens are really great! (We think evens are really great)!
1,3,5,7,9 (1,3,5,7,9)
Are you odd like Frankenstein? (Are you odd like Frankenstein)?
At the end, I had them walk around like Frankenstein (which was quite hilarious)!
I'm so grateful for the extra time I was able to spend at school today. While I'm sure sleeping in would have been nice, it wouldn't have been near as rewarding as a day spent with children. May I always be awake to the opportunities given to me throughout life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Captivated By His Love....