Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Through The Eyes Of A Child

Wednesday, June 8th:
Hearing 32 sweet children with Scottish accents welcome you with, “Good morning Miss Freeman” is one of the most wonderful ways to start any morning. Miss Laird passed the microphone over to me this morning, and I was in charge of leading the class from 9:00 until break at 10:30. It was a surreal feeling to take attendance, call out lunch orders, and collect lunch money in a classroom. I loved it =)
After handling morning procedures, I had the students work on an assignment left over from yesterday while we were waiting for the other P-4 students to come in for math. Some of Miss Laird’s class goes into another classroom for their math section, and some from the neighboring class come into our classroom. These groups are divided based on their current math abilities. Once everyone was settled and in their correct groups, I turned their attention to the problems on the board. Today was mental math day, and they were asked to complete a set of various multiplication problems.
For a stretching break, I had the students get up and we sang the song I taught them yesterday. They of course loved it, and the kids from the other P-4 class were excited to learn it! I heard them singing it in the halls on the way to lunch today =) After taking a stretching break, I taught them a fun mental math game. We only had time to play it a couple of times, but they are excited to play it again next week during mental math.
For the remainder of the morning, we brainstormed ideas as a class for making posters to sell Viking Long ships. The children created some incredible posters! I wish I would have had my camera to take pictures! Maybe if they have them tomorrow, I will take some photos for your enjoyment =)

I love being able to encourage kids, especially those who you can tell are ignored or trouble makers, This little boy in my class named Marin gets in trouble ALL the time, but today while they were working on their Viking posters, he was doing an incredible job, so I quietly went up to his desk, knelt down  beside him, put my hand on his shoulder and said, "Martin, I am so unbeievably proud of you and your work! You are doing such a fantastic job on your Viking poster, If it's ok with you, I would love to show it to the whole class so they can see what a wonderful job you've done!" I have never seen his eyes light up the way they did today! It's amazing to witness how much a little bit of love and encouragement can change the eyes of a child.May I never fail to forget the ways that God teaches me by helping me see through the eyes of a child.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Natalie.....I love hearing your adventures and especially your classroom stuff. So cool.

    ReplyDelete

Captivated By His Love....