Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Monday: First day of school

I’ll start this post with a quote from my favorite movie, Finding Nemo.
“First day of school, first day of school!!!!!”
Monday was my first day with the 2nd graders at Carronshore Primary, and it was just as wonderful as I imagined it would be! The children are just lovely, and were extremely excited to have an American teacher at their school. My cooperating teacher, Miss Laird, is fantastic as well!
During the day, we have a 15 min. break where all the teachers and faculty drink coffee or tea. It seems that they are excited to have us at their school, and they have started asking us lots of questions.
The students seem to be fascinated with my accent, and want to know all about America. Miss Laird told them they could come tomorrow with some questions for me.
Today was mainly observation, and getting to know the students better. There are 33 children in my class (22 boys, and 10 girls), which is quite a handful! We also have about 4 severely learning disabled children, and 2 with terrible behavior difficulties. There is also one little boy who has hearing impairments, so we use a microphone to teach. It’s one of the more difficult classes in the school, but Miss Laird handles them wonderfully, and there are truly some sweet angels in there.
I went with the students to their music class today, and the teacher had them sing a song in their attempted “American accents.” Oh my, it was HILLARIOUS!
Laurel, Niki, and I are all at the same school and have lunch at the same time. We ate in the cafeteria with the students, which turned out to be a big mistake. Some of the older boys were a little inappropriate towards us, so we’ll be eating with the faculty tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Captivated By His Love....