Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oh, to be carefree!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sidenote: I don't have time now, but I'll post pictures later =)
Today has been one of my favorite days since coming to Scotland. Now, I realize that is a grand statement, and you’re probably expecting me to back it up with some unbelievable event or captivating story, but the reality is, that just isn’t the case. As you may have realized while reading through my various blog posts, it truly is in the simple joys of everyday life that I find great pleasure. I love sharing these small moments of beautiful simplicity with others =)
For starters, this morning was my assigned day to teach a lesson while being observed by my supervisor.  Dr. Wood came ready to watch my every move, video camera and all, and the kids couldn’t have been more excited to meet the surprise visitor I had told them about the day before. While I was only required to teach a small portion of the day, when I arrived to school this morning, I found out that my teacher wasn't there because she had a meeting, so I had the kids alone for a few hours with another P-4 teacher helping out. From the moment I walked into the classroom today, I felt like a teacher. A real, grown up teacher, with a responsible job, and 32 precious minds and hearts to touch.
After morning roll, the kids were supposed to go to ICT (computer lab). Now, for those of you who know the skills (or rather, the lack of skills,) I possess regarding electronics, I’m sure you will get a good laugh out of hearing me say that I helped teach 32 8 and 9 year olds during computer lab this morning! It was interesting to say the least! After ICT, they were supposed to go to P.E. Now, I assumed that the PE teacher would be there, but no, I had to teach PE as well...all while wearing a dress, hahaha! So, I pulled stuff out of my teacher’s hat, and we did a warm up to the even and odd chant I taught them last week, and sung it while doing jumping jacks. We did different rely races, and at the end, I showed them how to do a crab walk race (still while wearing a dress...).

In the afternoon, Dr. Wood came into the class while I was reading to the kids from “Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” I quickly transitioned into my lesson over maps, specifically, the world map. I love being a teacher! Dr. Wood videotaped me teaching, and I have to go back and watch it to critique myself. It should be very humbling! I tend to be hard on myself, so I'm nervous about watching the video. But, I know it will be a great learning experience, and I have many things to improve in as a teacher! I truly consider the time I’ve had here in Miss Laird’s classroom as such a blessing. I have learned so many things throughout my time spent here!
This evening was simply wonderful! Right after dinner, Rona and her husband John came to pick us all up and drove us to Linlithgow. We walked around a beautiful lake, and threw bread to all these ducks and swans. It was hilarious to see 50 or more swans all swimming at you full force to fight over bread! Our whole team had a good laugh over the silly ducks, and enjoyed every moment! After feeding the birds, we walked around the lake, and headed up a hill to see yet another castle. We then headed on to a BEAUTIFUL church! We were the only people in the building, so we sat down and sang songs to God. It was so beautiful that I literally got chills as we were singing. It was an amazing time to be still and worship God with praises!
After leaving the church, the sun was starting to set, and it was gorgeous outside! We all enjoyed the beautiful view as we walked to get some ice cream…which was SO delicious! While we were walking back to the cars, we all happened to see a super exciting playground. Now, be forewarned, that taking 13 Early Childhood Education majors to a playground is bound to be eventful and exciting..and that it was! Tonight I felt so carefree! Feeding swans, singing in churches, eating ice-cream, and playing on a playground, comprised an incredible day! It’s impossible to share the truest and simplest joys through writing in a blog, but it’s an incredible thing to experience!

1 comment:

  1. You did so well winging it when you had to. That sure does happen sometimes and your really are talented at pulling things off. Your "hat" must be a really big one. Hurrah for your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Captivated By His Love....